- Onset – When/How did it start? How far can you go before it starts?
- Location – Blockage is one level above pain
- Duration, Severity, Character
- Alleviation/Aggravation – does it subside quickly with rest?
- Symptoms associated – rest pain?
- Risk factors
- Known coronary artery disease (CAD)
- Hyptertension (HTN)
- Family history
- Past medical history, medications, allergies
- Inspection: skin color, hair growth, ulcers/gangrene, missing limbs/digits, nail changes, texture of skin
- Palpation: temperature, edema, capillary refill, pulses (dorsalis pedis, posterior tibialis, popliteal, femoral), abdominal aortic aneurysm
- Auscultation: carotid bruits, femoral bruits
- Blood pressure
- ABI: dopper of foot arteries, inflate cuff around ankle to loss of sound, release pressure and note when sound returns
- Duplex scan (carotid dopplers)